Thursday, August 27, 2020

Is God Enough?


Christa Black Gifford‘s words, “You have no emptiness in you, for you are filled with God. Which also means, you are already filled with everything you could ever need,” evokes a memory of a conversation some years back that left a deep impression on my soul. It was a convo with a dear friend about something they were desiring, a longing they continuously put before God. And in our conversation, I asked, “Is God enough? If that thing never happened, would God be enough?” And my friend told me, “No.” Then the friend told me that as a minister of the gospel, I should never ever ask someone is God enough and not to repeat the question again. I admit, the rebuke sliced me to the core. I had been careless with my friend’s longings, their unfulfilled desires, hope deferred and in my naïveté, I truly believed, you + God = enough. But what if He isn’t? What if God isn’t everything I need? What then? And now, I find myself wondering ...what if I shift my focus from a perspective of separation - God being a part from, God being out there, distant, afar off. What if I shift from the story of separation to the Truth of oneness with God who is Love, and Spirit, the Source Energy of all life? Does that change my ideas on scarcity, on what exactly is enough, on unfulfilled desires? Is there contentment in embracing Union with God? How does our thoughts shift when we move from the story of separation and lack to one of union and abundance?


 “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” -Eckhart Tolle

No comments:

Post a Comment