Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Abiding In The Vine

WHAT HAPPENS TO US AS WE ABIDE


Quick science lesson: in physical change, the physical state of matter changes – i.e., goes from ice to water from water to steam but it’s all still water – the chemical composition does not change, just the state of the matter. In a chemical change, not only does the state change but the chemical makeup changes as well.

In Numbers 21:8-9, the bronze serpent is a type of Jesus on the cross.  In John 3:14-15, people who are “bitten” with sin can look upon Him(Jesus) and live (have everlasting life). Our friend, Duncan Smith who pastors Catch The Fire Raleigh (Raleigh, NC) tells of a time when He was soaking in the Lord’s presence and Father said to him, "Ask me what bronze is made of?" So he asked Him and Papa said, "Bronze is a metal made of tin and copper."

Upon further research, Duncan found that tin radiates white light and copper absorbs light. Tin is a rare and precious metal. Copper is found in abundance. Can you see how these 2 metals prophetically symbolize Jesus and man?

However, when tin and copper are melded together in fire, they fuse and become one. And once melded they become known as a bronze. Bronze can never be anything else no matter what is done to it. This is what happens when Jesus died on the cross. We died with Christ on the cross, we died with Him and while He was roasting on the cross in anguish and agony, we were being fused with Him and becoming one with Him. And like bronze, Rom 8:35-39 declares that nothing shall separate us from the Love of Christ. Jesus became one with you in this life and death so that you could become one with Him in eternity.

In a chemical change, the essential nature of the object is transformed. It can never go back to what it was before. I was a sinner, now, I am a saint. I don’t ever go back to being a sinner again. Our human nature is totally transformed. Important to note that we never lose our personhood. We all have a unique individual expression. That is why we are a body, not everyone is a hand or a mouth, or a lip or a nose.

As we abide in Him, the fire of His love touches all of our unhealed places and transforms us into vessels of honor who are then able to carry the fire of His love to others (Is. 6:1-8)

James 1:21 says, "in humility, as we abide in the vine, we receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls." Our whole being needs to be saved: body, mind, emotions, and spirit.

As we read John 15:1-11, we see that we are to attach ourselves to the word of God. As we abide in the vine our joy is made complete.

We hide the word of God in our hearts (Ps. 119:11) We abide in the vine by meditating on and rehearsing the word of God in your heart, which is to contemplate or to reflect upon the Word and the personhood of Jesus.

Remembering that the letter alone kills, but the Spirit gives life. We need a vibrant relationship with Holy Spirit. He is our come alongside friend. He reveals truth to us and gives us a revelation of the Word as Father perceives it not as we perceive it from our life’s experiences.

Have you ever visited your local optometrist for a checkup? He brings the lenses in front of your face and he says, "Which is better, A or B?"  You can see from A but when he puts the lenses in front of you for B, it becomes crystal clear!  Doing life with Holy Spirit is like that.  With A, you're seeing and doing life through colored lenses and it's ok but when Holy Spirit comes and places lens B in front of you, you know go from glory to glory and you see a dimension of truth you maybe have never seen before.  It all becomes crystal clear!

As Holy Spirit brings the Word alive to us we go from truth to greater measures of truth. For example, we go from being a heathen in need of salvation to being a servant – I just want to serve the Lord, from servant to friend, from friend to son, from son to Bride. God is multifaceted. As we abide in Him we are allowed to experience greater measures of Him. According to John 1:33 the Spirit descended and remained on Jesus. Jesus experienced the fullness of Holy Spirit without measure. As we abide in the vine, we too are allowed to experience the fullness of Holy Spirit without measure (John 14:16-17).

"By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit( 1 John 4:13).

Abiding in the vine is living in a perpetual state of being connected to the Godhead. It is developing a relationship with Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. How do I develop relationships? 1) Trust 2) communication 3) common interest 4) honesty 5) time together.

Abiding in the vine means that our life is hid in Christ – we are constantly at rest in Him. We’re not moving ahead of Him or lagging behind. I am yoked with Christ.

"Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son" (2 John 1:9).

Abiding in the vine means that I live a sinless life. 1 John 3:6, 9 says, "Whoever abides in Him sins not."

Abiding in the vine is the place where my will and the Father’s will become one. I have no will but that of God(John 5:30).

As we abide in the vine, He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul… (Ps 23) – Here God comes alongside of us and walks with us, sharing His Word and His heart with us.

Abiding in the Vine is finding value in who you are; sonship is a birthright given to me by Papa. That’s my value. I am a son of God. I can rest in His love. I can trust Him. In abiding, I discover my destiny. When I come into kingdom alignment then I can receive my kingdom assignment. I cannot bear fruit without intimacy. In order to know what God wants me to do, I must first know who God has called me to be. My identity is revealed as I abide in Him.

Abiding in the vine allows the presence of God to become natural to us. I choose to focus my attention on God. I choose to be with Him. My repeated choice to abide becomes a habit and a habit sustained becomes a lifestyle.

What does the vine provide? Food, nourishment, strength and stability, identity, a life source, support

The vine nourishes and waters the branches – Christ becomes our root source. He is the well that waters and refreshes us.  He is our river of life, our constant state of flowing water that allows us to be filled to overflowing.

Who is doing all of the work then? Easy.  The vine is.   We exchange our work, our striving for REST and we trust Him and relax. He is holding us up, undergirding us and supporting us. We lean into His strength and His goodness knowing that in my weakness, HE is strong.

What is our job then?  It is simply, TO BE.  Supernatural is not what you do; it’s who you are. When Moses asked God whom should I say sent me. His reply was tell them I AM sent you. Who is I AM? Everything you need in the moment you need it. What is grace? Everything you need in the moment you need it. The precise manifestation of favor whereby the VINE enables you to do that which needs to be done through HIS STRENGTH and POWER and not your own.

HOW DO WE PRACTICE ABIDING IN THE VINE

Worship – Worship involves our entire being: heart, mind, will, and emotions. It’s a total abandonment of our will.  How do you stay afloat at sea?  Every muscle is completely relaxed, face arched back looking heavenward – water encompassing all but a little of you – still enough of your personhood that you are still uniquely you and yet you are completely immersed in water. That is the perfect picture of your life as worship to God.

Physical calm - I am at one, I am centered, I am my whole self no matter the situation. God is my support. He is my strength, my stability. QUIET MYSELF DOWN.

Focused attention – I am continually turning my heart and my thoughts toward the VINE. He captivates me. He is the object, the person upon which I fix my gaze. He is my life source, my identity. I know who I am because of who HE is in me. He has deposited His seed within me, and I produce His fruit. I become so focused on Him that everything else fades into the background. FIX MY EYES ON JESUS.

Letting be – I am no longer striving to become something. I am simply being that which I already am. I no longer have to work at being a good Christian. I am because His righteousness has made me good. I am free from performance. I don’t have to earn my way into the heart of the vine. He chose me and gave His life for me.

Rest is not a position of inactivity.  Rest is a position of secure faith out of which activity flows.

(Heb 4:9) There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. Remains in the scripture means to abide; not to depart; to continue to be present.

Abiding in the vine is entering into God’s rest. It is bringing your life into agreement with God.

Receptivity – I am aware of His presence. I am stuck on God. I am God reliant and not self reliant. Everything that I am comes from God. I am completely dependent upon Holy Spirit for day to day living.

Spontaneous flow – freedom to be who you are. Walking in tandem with Holy Spirit. Inner promptings.

"As for you, let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father" (1 John 2:24).

Abiding in the vine is not just about you deepening your relationship with Jesus. The Father Himself loves you and desires to know you and be known by you. Jesus wanted you to know His Dad and for the joy of being able to introduce His dad to many more sons, He endured the cross. Abiding in the vine allows the Love of Father to be shed abroad in your heart. Increased levels of love equals increased levels of freedom. The closer you get to God, the freer you get. Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom.

Abide in Him and allow His seed to be reproduced in you.
©2010 Felicia Murrell YzCounsel Ministries 

No comments:

Post a Comment